Is Zen Cart right for you?
Zen Cart is a very powerful platform right out of the box.
There are lots of ecommerce platforms to choose from. Zen Cart is one of the good ones.
Zen Cart is the product for you if:
- You’re a small to medium size business
- Have a smaller budget
- Want to be PCI compliant
- Want a fair to medium amount of bells and whistles
- It’s FREE open source software and can be modified as much as you like without worry of any copyright issues
- Uses PHP and MySQL which is offered on even the most economical hosting plans
- Has all the features of the very expensive shopping cart systems, right out of the box
- Unlimited categories, sub-categories, products, and product attributes
- Multiple product images
- Product search
- UPS, USPS and FedEx shipping are supported
- Authorize.net and PayPal are supported
- SSL is supported and highly recommended
- Huge active support community
- Hundreds of free and paid plugins
- Hundreds of free and paid templates
- Very flexible and fairly easy to customize
- Easy to move from one server (or folder) to another
- Default site template not very appealing
- Admin interface is ugly and not user friendly
- Product attributes (size, color, etc) are a bit clunky to manage because of how the admin interface is setup. Although, it is very powerful.
- Very basic reporting. There are a few reporting plugins but even they are a bit lacking.
- Shipping options are somewhat limited. For example you cannot offer specific shipping options at the category or product level.
- Installing plugins is not for the novice. There are no automated, one-click installations for plugins. Each needs to be done manually and with caution.
- Automated, one-click updates are not available.
- Installing and customizing should be done by a professional.
My Zen Cart Clients
I was having, (and had been having), many problems with my web hosting company So I searched, and found Joe @ embryodesign. Best move I ever made. Not only did all of my problems vanish, but because of the personal service Joe gives, my website is 100% better. He made design changes to my site that added much needed aesthetics and professionalism that I wasn’t even aware of until I saw the finished product. After several months now, not one problem. Site never goes down. If I need something done, I e-mail or call Joe and he’s either there, or gets back to me right away. I pride myself on the service I give to my customers. A rare trait these days. I finally found a hosting company that shares the same pride. Thanks Joe! I’m so glad you’re there!
"From the development of ideas, to the launching of our web site, Joe led the way creatively and visually to provide Fantasy Candies with everything we were hoping for…and more. Having a large variety of products and information, we were concerned that navigation would be difficult. Joe was able to design a site that not only looks great, but is easy to work. From editing our photos and descriptions, to online ordering and secure payment, Joe took care of everything, and with quick turnaround time. Updates and changes are always done quickly. I would highly recommend Joe and Embryo design to any company that wants the best of everything."
All I needed was some consultation about Zen Cart and wow, did I get just what I needed. In one phone call I learned everything I needed to learn and saved time and $.
I really needed someone who could jump on a Zen cart project in a tight fix. Needed someone who understood Zen cart and could work under little to know direction on a list of problems and fix’s that we needed. Also needed someone I could get a hold of at any given time as well. Joe was all of these things. His work is excellent and on top of it he’s a real nice guy which makes it even better. Would highly recommend Joe to anyone looking for an experienced Zen cart specialist.
I love the website that Joe designed for me! I get lots of compliments from my customers about how beautiful and easy to use it us. And Joe is great to work with. He welcomed my input during the design process and spent lots of time patiently teaching me how to operate my new site. Several years later, he still is available if I have a question, and I am always amazed by how quickly he responds! Joe is creative, professional, and trustworthy – I highly recommend entrusting your website design to him.
"I can't say enough good things about my project with Joe. Our website was a real challenge as it was an old piecemealed zencart design that was originally very badly setup with features that were not transferable to later versions. Joe transformed with creative solutions it into the vision I had in mind, and giving us maximum flexibility to let it move forward in the future. I really appreciated that he found cost effective solutions to problems, no one else was able to address. . I had just hoped to get the problems corrected, instead I received a total makeover from a real professional. His design ideas were excellent, and he fully listened to my ideas and readily incorporated them. I will be using Joe again in the near future for further enhancements, and really would think of using no one else. He is spectacular!"
- Initial phone conversation. Continued phone and email support throughout project.
- Email confirming details and requirements
- You create an account on upwork.com, create a project, award me the project.
- Zen Cart is installed on your web host server
- A template (responsive) is installed and designed to look how you want it. I base my initial design on your logo, products you sell and your customer demographic.
- Install essential plugins (see above)
- Configure system for things like taxes, shipping and payment modules
- Optimize Zen Cart settings (and server if possible) for maximum page load speed
- Tweak design and settings to meet your requirements
- Customize the checkout process for increased conversions. Ask me about this.
- Test, test, and test
- Site launch
- “View your shopping cart” link that stays on the same site.
- Shopping cart that updates when you add items to it.
- Return policy with a physical address.
- Shipping charge calculator that works.
- “Wish list” link, or a link to postpone the purchase of an item until later.
- A way to track FedEx orders.
- User forum that works.
- The ability to register or login.
- A gift registry that works.